Saturday, February 11, 2012

Tell no one what you've seen...


A Light Within His Light


I circled awhile with each of the intelligences,

the nine fathers that control the levels

of spirit-growth.



 I revolved

for years with the stars through

each astrological sign.




I disappeared into the kingdom of nearness.

I saw what I have seen, receiving nourishment

as a child lives in the womb.




Personalities are born once,

a mystic many times.


Wearing the body-robe, I've been busy

in the market, weighing and arguing prices.


Sometimes I have torn the robe off

with my own hands and thrown it away.





I've spent long nights in monasteries,

and I have slept with those who claim to believe

nothing on the porches of pagodas,

just traveling through.



When someone feels jealous, I am inside

the hurt and the need to possess.



When anyone is sick, I feel

feverish and dizzy.



I am cloud and rain being released,

and then the meadow as it soaks it in.



I wash the rains of mortality

from the cloth around a dervish.




I am the rose of eternity, not made of

water or fire or the wandering wind,

or even earth. I pay with those.



I am not Shams of Tabriz,

but a light within his light.




If you see me, be careful.

Tell no one what you've seen.



Ghazal (Ode) 331, 
Version by Coleman Barks,
 "Say I Am You" 
Maypop, 1994

Related Posts with Thumbnails