Sunday, November 11, 2012

Each Sleepless Night

 

I cannot sleep in your presence.

In your absence, tears prevent me.

You watch me My Beloved

on each sleepless night and

only You can see the difference.


Translation by Azima Melita Kolin and Maryam Mafi
Rumi: Hidden Music
HarperCollins Publishers Ltd, 2001


 

When I am with you, we stay up all night.

When you're not here, I can't go to sleep.

Praise God for these two insomnias!

And the difference between them.


  Version by Coleman Barks
Open Secret
Threshold Books, 1984
 
 
 

as long as I'm with you

I can't sleep

having you

as long as you are away

I can't sleep

crying for you

dear God

I'm sleepless

both nights

but look at the

difference in the

two insomnias

 
Translation by Nader Khalili
Rumi, Dancing the Flame
Cal-Earth Press, 2001
Related Posts with Thumbnails